An interview with new member LIz Salt...

We welcome new member Liz Salt who takes photography to another level.   Examples of her three different techniques are shown below.

We look forward to seeing her first exhibition with us later on this year, but until then, come into the gallery and have a look at her works on the shelf.

To find out more about Liz, read her interview below...

 
Why did you choose to become a member of Inka Gallery?
I saw the sign in the gallery window and thought that it would be inspiring to be part of an artists co-operative working with like-minded people.

What is your background and how did you get started?
In 1989 I completed an Associate Diploma of Art, Craft and Design at UTAS School of Art where I majored in photography. Since then I have exhibited my work in Tasmania and NSW. I am also a qualified landscape designer and have a Bachelor of Natural Environment and Wilderness Studies.

Which other artists and areas of life inspire your artwork?
I have been inspired by Minor White and his photographs of details in nature and also by the painters Monet, Marc Chagall, Max Ernst and the Surrealists.

What is your favourite subject matter and medium?
My medium is colour photography although I have worked with black & white images in the past. More recently I have been producing digital images and using computer manipulation to alter and enhance these photographs.  
My favourite subject matter includes the intricate patterns and colours found in the natural environment and reflected patterns in water and the layering of multiple images reflected in glass. 
I have also produced microscopic images of marine phytoplankton that I have mounted onto clear perspex to enhance the transparency of their underwater environment and to give the images a 3 dimensional perspective.

How do you describe your style?
I am not sure how to catergorise my style other than perhaps semi-abstract and slightly surreal as I like to confuse the viewer by the layering of multiple images not usually viewed together and focusing on details in nature that are often overlooked not easily read out of context.

What do you expect to gain from being a member of Inka Gallery?
I hope to be able to sell some of my artwork, be motivated to continue producing new work and make new friends with similar interests.

Comments