An interview with new member Belinda Graudins

Belinda joined Inka at the beginning of March 2011 and has a very unique style.  We think her original illustrations of Forest Dwellers and Mountain Beasts - see Yambuk as an example (2nd image below) - would make for a great Tasmanian Wilderness adventure book!   Read more...

Why did you choose to become a member of Inka Gallery?
I thought the gallery, in the heart of Salamanca, would be a great location for me to expose and sell my art to a wider audience.

What is your background and how did you get started?
I have loved drawing since High School where my particular style emerged.
Over the years I have continued to draw, further developing my style as time permitted while raising 3 children with my husband and pursuing my musical interests. I have played the piano since I was 10, sung in a few choirs and currently play, perform and teach Taiko (a Japanese form of drumming) with the Hobart 'Taiko Drum' group in my spare time.
In 2006 I held a solo exhibition after much encouragement from family and friends and have now exhibited and sold my art in various locations.
SOLD
Which other artists and areas of life inspire your artwork?
I have an appreciation of the work of many artists but I don't feel greatly inspired by any one in particular. Maybe Salvador Dali a little more than anyone else.
Aspects of nature do inspire me - trees, leaves, streams, bugs, birds, native animals and my love of music. When I get the chance to spend some time in the forests or the countryside I often find that an idea will be born and will find it's way onto paper later on.

What is your favourite subject matter and medium?
I don't think I really have a favourite subject matter. Most of what I draw comes from within, creating from my subconscious mind perhaps.
I draw on paper and wood and sometimes canvas using a combination of ink pen, coloured ink, sometimes biro, (for a specific effect), and coloured pencils.
The pens I use are of archival quality containing pigment ink. I prefer a fine point. My pencils are Prismacolour and the inks I use are Sennelier brand, (a traditional shellac based ink in a variety of colours). I apply the ink with brushes when I use it.


Yambuk

How do you describe your style?
I would say my style is quite unique, it is something that is just part of me and it's always there. I just crave to have that spare bit of time to sit down and do what I love. There are no wrong lines or strokes of the brush.
The first lines are drawn and then my drawing will slowly evolve from there to an end product that I am satisfied with.
I have termed my style of drawing as 'Accidental Art' which has a music connection for me. In music we use 'accidentals', which are sharps, flats and naturals. They can add an unexpected sound to the music and I think my art can be the same – a little unexpected!

What do you expect to gain from being a member of Inka Gallery?
I hope that I can work towards a long and rewarding time as a member of Inka. To grow my art, to enjoy the connection with the other artists within the co-op and to contribute to the ongoing success of the gallery.

Belinda will be having an exhibition with Inka early next year so we'll keep you posted.  In the meantime, drop into Inka and see her original beautifully illustrated whimsical characters on the shelves and visit her website www.belindagraudins.com to see more!

Comments

  1. Beautiful artwork Belinda! Good luck with your endeavours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very unique, I have one work of yours already and its great to know more are available at Inka. Keep sharing your lovely work with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work. Very whimsical and a unique natural style.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment