We welcome new member Ann Menezies...

Ann will be displaying some of her stunning landscapes on canvas on the "black wall" in just a few weeks but in the meantime, we can show you a sample of some of her works in her interview below...

How did you find out about Inka and what attracted to the gallery?
I found out about Inka by visiting around in the area and popping in. I like to visit Salamanca occasionally to see new exhibitions.

How long have you been creating art and how did you get started?
I have been painting for a long time. It was the only thing I really had confidence in at school. I went on to study art at college, then University, and then do an art based post-graduate course in teaching. I have always painted. I lived in Sydney for nine years, working part-time, painting mostly portraits, and exhibited and sold my work in pubs, cafes and artist-run galleries. Since living in Tasmania, I have been painting landscape an I have once again started to exhibit my work.

Black Beauty 1
Do you have a favourite subject or medium?
Currently I am absorbing many new ideas, but I am building up a solid body of work around my landscapes. I feel a lot freer now to paint different subjects and to use different mediums as my creative interests grow. I love many forms of craft work and I am really inspired by artists who use recycled materials. I usually paint in acrylic or oil, depending on whether I am seeking accuracy of if I am happy to swim in the flow of the colour and texture. My landscapes also alternates between realism and abstraction.

Rockpool Reflection 1
How would you describe your style of art?
My main focus is on what I call ‘Rockpool Reflections’. I am trying to create the ultimate balance between telling the story of the rockpool reflection and having a free-flowing play of paint upon the surface of the canvas.
I use delicate colour changes, but I still like to tell the dramatic story of chiaroscuro. I like surprising and muted forms, but I still like a strong structure in my paintings.
I am definitely inspired by the beauty of the Tasmanian landscape. Everything wonderful part of nature I consider to be a gift to my eyes and I marvel at the creation of it.
Artists I like are: Monet, Gustav Klimt, Hundertwasser, Matisse. I seem to get something out of seeing most other artists whose work I see locally and on my travels.

Rockpool 4
What do you hope to gain from being a member of Inka Gallery?
I am happy to have somewhere to present and sell my work. I am hoping to get to know other local artists and share and learn from their stories and adventures. I hope that Inka will be a stepping stone to other galleries. I think its really important to be involved in something, whether it’s putting your paintings up at a local craft fair, cafe, or artist-run initiative. There’s no point in painting your heart away if no-ones going to see it!

We couldn't agree more...Pop into Inka now and see some of Ann's work on the shelves.




Comments