An interview with new member Russell Joyce

We welcome Russell Joyce to Inka Gallery!   Russell joined at the beginning of March and in that short space of time, has already produced a fantastic range of original pen and watercolour drawings for the gallery.  To find out more, read his interview which is accompanied by just a small sample of his beautiful works...

What made you choose to become a member of Inka Gallery?

I like the atmosphere of the Salamanca Arts District; the Inka Gallery space is open and inviting, and the people are friendly. Inkas primary focus of works on paper struck a particular chord with me.
pen and watercolour on paper

What is your background and how did you get started?
I spent my childhood drawing as much as possible.  I trained as a printmaker at ANU (NITA) in Canberra where my mind was opened to the possibilities of Art.  I then became a Visual Arts teacher and saw how art can affect other people's lives too.  I recently moved to Tasmania with my partner so that I could pursue my art-making aspirations.
pen and watercolour on paper
Which other artists and areas of life inspire your artwork?
Currently, I am a big fan of Ben Quilty, Fiona Lowry, and others too numerous to mention. I always find inspiration in the Australian landscape and its inhabitants. My relocation to Tasmania has reinvigorated my art-making. My partner, Loene, is a constant source of support and inspiration.
pen and watercolour on paper

What is your favourite subject and medium?
Im continually inspired by the landscape and creatures of Australia. I find it sublime in its beauty and terror. My favourite mediums have always been drawing, etching, and woodblocks; with my current main focus in digital printmaking/drawing.
pen and watercolour on paper
Do you have other creative talents besides producing artworks?

I enjoy the creativity of teaching, cooking, and gardening. 
pen on paper
What do you hope to gain by being a part of Inka Gallery?
Being a member of Inka Gallery allows me to meet other local artists, to interact with the community, and to receive feedback on my drawing from a wide range of people local, interstate and international.

Drop into the gallery to see more of Russell's works, including possums, koalas, the native list goes on...and a few domestic pets too!








Comments