Images from upcoming exhibition by Margaret McAteer

We are looking forward to 'Black and White' - an exhibition of screenprints by Inka Member Margaret McAteer which commences this Thursday, 23rd February.

Artist Statement

My exhibition space was booked approximately twelve months ago and I had absolutely no idea what to print.
What also happened was the supplier that I buy my ink from decided to stop making poster ink. What I have finally run out of is the colour you need the most  - white.
So I decided to print using only black ink (and in the process getting rid of as much as I could).
One of my daughters, has for years, collected old movie annuals and I decided to work on selected images. Even though I have only printed eight different images, many more could have been done.
I picked photos that appealed to me from the 1920’s to the early 1950’s. I then spent time virtually redrawing them.
The images cover a wide range from a woman that has been turned into a robot, to lovers, to murders and attacks.


Screenprints (edition of 10)
framed $250
unframed $100
                        Richard Dix and Leatrice Joy         framed    sold

                                            This Gun for Hire     u/f 2/10, 3/10, 4/10  sold
                            Wages of Virtue            framed   sold
Julanne Johnston
In the Name of the Law
                                  The River Beat      u/f 2/10, 3/10 sold
The Kidnappers
                                            Metropolis            u/f 2/10, 4/10, 5/10 sold
                                                               framed   sold
Exhibition runs from Thursday, 23rd February - 13th March, 2012 

Comments